Sunday, August 28, 2011

Prayer Appointed for the Week 8/28/11

Lord of all power and might, the author and giver of all good things:
Graft in my heart the love of your Name;
increase in me true religion;
nourish me with all goodness;
and bring forth in me the fruit of good works;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


from The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime by Phyllis Tickle.

Vineyard Church in Ann Arbor has the Divine Hours prayers on its website, here.

This prayer originates from The Book of Common Prayer. It the Collect (Contemporary) Proper 17, for the Sunday closest to August 31st. Page 233 in my copy of the BCP.

In the Divine Hours, the prayers have been changed for individual use. In the BCP, they are written for use in a group.


(Hmmm... Seems like Vineyard Church in Ann Arbor is using the Collect for the Sunday closest to August 24th.)

No comments: