Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Time Spent on the Computer

The amount of time I spend on the computer is something I have to watch constantly. I can do well for a while (meaning not much wasted time at all) and then I start to spend a little more time each day or so until I am back to spending too much time on the computer. Insidious.

As an introvert, I use the computer to go into my own little world where I escape all the input from family. The funny thing is, I would enjoy reading a book so much more! But, to me, reading a book is a clear escape and pleasure and I am not entitled to that until my work is done.

On the other hand, I can easily find something I need to do on the computer. Check email. Send an email. Do a bit of research. Find out if there is a book about "that."

And I can feel like I really need some inspiration, so I will go to one of the blogs I enjoy reading. And which gives me inspiration to do something.

 Irony alert: I'm not doing something (productive in my home or life) if I am on the computer reading a blog to get inspired to do something.

As I said before, I need to recognize the end point and then quit. 

I found this page about apps and programs that help you monitor your time on the computer: 10 Ways to Measure Your Time Spent Online.

And I think I just downloaded RescueTime. (I tried Toggl and didn't like it very much, but I recognize I was impatient with the learning curve, too.)

No comments: