Friday, May 8, 2009

The Odyssey: Audio Books

Audible.com has copies of readings of unabridged versions of The Odyssey. I may purchase one from them, but I wondered about the translations. That information wasn't always available. I asked Audible and they referred me to the publishers. I thought I would summarize what I found here (because I don't think Audible is interested in including this in their descriptions).

Odyssey: The Story of Odysseus, by Homer, translated by W.H.D. Rose, narrated by Anthony Heald

The Odyssey, by Homer, translated by W.H.D. Rose, narrated by Nadia May

Odyssey, by Homer, translated by Stanley Lombardo, narrated by Stanley Lombardo

The Odyssey, by Homer, translated by William Cowper, narrated by Anton Lesser

The Odyssey, by Homer, translated by Samuel Butler, narrated by John Lee

The Odyssey, by Homer, translated by Stanley Lombardo, narrated by John Lescault

The Odyssey, by Homer, translated by George Herbert Palmer, narrated by Norman Deitz

And here is an easy explanation of the differences in some of the translations, from the website, The Greatest Literature of All Time.

No comments: